Tuesday, August 27, 2013

SCAM ALERT - Phone call

Last week I received a phone call that literally shook me to the core.

I answered the phone. The gentleman on the other line said his name and that he was from Microsoft. I had seen recent stories on the phone about this type of call being a scam since Microsoft never makes outbound calls. I told him I was not interested. When he was insistent to talk to me, I requested a supervisor. (Yes, I work in a call center. It's habit when I don't get what I need.) He put the phone down a minute and then got back on. When I heard his voice, I told him I wanted his name, the company name and a contact number. I told him I knew this was a scam and that I wanted these calls to stop. There were threats and vulgar language involved from him. I was caught completely off guard. (If one of my co-workers or I EVER spoke like that to a customer, no matter what the situation, we would be FIRED on the spot with no questions asked.) He told me that I was insulting his company. I requested a manager and the threats continued. I yelled for Rich who then took over the call. He said that the guy kept asking for me to be put back on the phone. Rich denied him and requested that no calls be made to our home again.

Fast forward to today, I checked my caller ID and saw a familiar number. I had previously talked to my friend about it and had asked if this is something that needed to be reported. She said yes, but I had put it off as a one time thing. When I saw that number again, I decided to report this person. I called and made my statement. I blocked this number from my phone. The officer advised that I share my experience with my friends. He said to be sure to not give any information at all. No name, phone number, email or anything like that. This scam is to install a virus to your computer that will crash your hard drive.

Please beware and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment