Wednesday, March 12, 2014

For the twins room

Our journey to find the best bed for the twins began on pinterest. They previously had bunk beds but hated them stating that it was too hot and uncomfortable. We decided to buy a twin over full bed for the twins room to aid in it being a part time guest room as well. We already have a full mattress and will be buying a new twin.

I found several options that I liked, but there were a few issues. The bed itself was pricey ( $500-$1500) and to ship it was unbelievable.
Cottage Bead Board Blue Solid Wood 3in.Post Twin over Full Bunk Bed - Deal-Hour.com
Camp Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed #pbkids    love the basketball hoop on the end of the bed :)

I then took to pinterest to find a solution. I searched several sites and came upon one called thedesignconfidential.com. I loved that the plans and the directions seemed easy enough. I was more excited to see that the bed would cost about $150 in materials.
Project Image


We have now bought all of the wood and screws. They cost $147. Today, we went to my brother in laws house for the kreg jig and miter saw. Tomorrow, my husband and father in law will make the cuts and hopefully start the build. We are hoping for my dad's help on Friday. Don't worry! I will include pictures of the whole process.


+++UPDATE+++
I have reviewed the plans for this bed as well as the reviews. The cut list states that the bed cleats are to be 76 inches in length but the directions indicate 78 inches. The same issue occurs with the guard rail. The cut list says 51 inches but the directions show 53 inches. We will err on the side of caution and use the larger measurements as it is possible to trim wood but impossible to add ;) Also, you will need 2 more of the 2x6s at 8 ft and 1 more of the 2x3 at 8 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment