Thursday, August 11, 2016

Camping Necessities

I spent a lot of time before our trip to research camping supplies. Thankfully, the kids and my husband went to scout camp a few weeks prior. We had a lot of stuff that was needed for both trips.


Lighting is a must. I found little flashlights and headlamps for $1 at Wal-Mart. I had a small lantern that I bought for a winter storm. I added a carabiner to the handle for use as a light in the tent. The black flashlight is dual purpose. It is a flashlight and also a portable cell phone charger. I bought glow sticks at the dollar store and they were a failure. Next time, I'll spend a little more and buy them at a different store.





Our campground had a huge bear proof dumpster. It was up at the entry to the site but well worth keeping the trash away. We generated a lot of garbage so we needed a trash can close by. I saw on pinterest to buy a collapsible laundry hamper. I used clips to hold the bag in place. It folds down to about a 6 inch circle and you can store the bags within.




We had three different ways to start fire. Flint and steel. Matches. Lighter. No, we didn't use flint and steel but it was there in case of emergency. The matches were in the orange waterproof container. We used the matches to start our fires. The lighter came in handy when it came to the camp stove.


I used an old baby wipes container for the first aid kit. I made sure it was well stocked since the nearest hospital was over an hour away. There was gauze, alcohol wipes, bandaids, cotton swabs, saline tubes, gloves, tape, ibuprofen, allergy pills, anti itch cream, antibiotic gel, scissors, hand sanitizer, wooden tongue depressor, and disposable ice pack.



My favorite item was my pink tackle box. It held all of the little items that I felt were needed. I'm crazy about making sure that everything was organized. The items are as follows:
  • hamper
  • trash bags
  • needlenose pliers
  • scissors
  • batteries
  • paracord
  • flashlights
  • headlamp
  • survival whistle
  • matches
  • lighter
  • hand sanitizer
  • pens
  • sharpie
  • bug spray
  • lip balm
  • toothpaste
  • clips
  • rubber bands
  • pocket knife
  • small sewing kit (yes, I used it. My friends tent got a hole on the first day)



No comments:

Post a Comment