Monday, September 19, 2016

Crocheting... a lost art?!

I went to a local store the other day to purchase some sewing supplies. The cashier was an older gentleman. He mentioned that not many people from my generation know how to crochet or sew. I would tend to agree with him. I'm surprised at how many of my friends don't know these basic skills. I love crocheting. My mom, grandma and aunt taught me to crochet. I've learned new techniques from various people in my life, including my great grandma. I have made many different items from flowers to dresses. Lately, I do smaller projects since my hands hurt after too long.


My cousin had boy girl twins a few years ago. I made hats for each of them.


When my cousin's granddaughter was blessed, I was able to make her headband. Her dress was made by my aunt.

Yes, I know the flowers are insanely HUGE but that's what the mama wanted.


Grocery shopping yields HUNDREDS of plastic bags. My grandma has cut bags into strips and crocheted bags. I decided to try this myself. 

I cut the bags into 1 1/2 - 2 inch strips. 

I then weaved them together to make my "yarn". 

I wound it up into a large ball. 

I could now start my crochet project. In this case, I made a pool bag. We got season passes for a water park and I knew that we'd be carrying wet clothes. I chose to make the plastic crochet bag for this since it was sturdy and would be the perfect material to get wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment