Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Raingutter Regatta - review

We had our Raingutter Regatta last month. Our cubs decorated their boats at the den meetings. I decided to not have a ranked competition similar to the Pinewood Derby. The boys enjoyed being able to choose their running partner as well as which set of gutters they were going to use. We had the inflatable gutter from the Boy Scout office as well as vinyl gutters.

I decided to make a participation award for each boy. I found a saying to go with Extra gum and put my own twist on it. I then purchased a sail boat puzzle at the local dollar store as the grand prize. Since the races were not ranked, I did a drawing of all of the boys who were there. It was one of our new boys who won the puzzle.

In an earlier post, I showed two options for the pool noodle boats. We tried to do the round side down and they just fell over. Some of the leaders made a catamaran type boat with the pool noodle which seemed to work better. Next year, we'll use the wooden boats again and just have the boys personalize their sails. I didn't feel like the noodle boats worked that great. This would be wonderful for a birthday party though ;)

We opted out of using straws to help with powering the boat. My cousin had done the regatta a few weeks prior. He said that the boys used the straws to push the sails instead of them being breath powered.






No comments:

Post a Comment