Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spiritual Saturday


On Saturday, I attended two church meetings. I was able to be at my neighbor’s baptism.  E is the oldest son of T and Z. We have become quite close to this family. Our boys love to play together.  The room was packed. Chairs had to be added and there were still people standing in the back. I loved being a small part of this day. I made a bag of treats for E with sayings for each candy. See below:
 
 
I warned T that I had given E a bag full of candy but that there was a meaning for it. She laughed but said it was okay since this was a special occasion. I was able to sit and cuddle Em, another neighbor. I was looking forward to the confirmation by Z. I was sitting on the far side of my row and didn’t see much of the baptism itself. I enjoyed T’s talk on Holy Ghost and her testimony of His comfort in her life.  I know that she was speaking mainly to E but I could feel the spirit of her heartfelt message. I know that T has been through many medical struggles in her life and depression has resulted. Her faith has brought her through it all. I am constantly amazed at her strength. The confirmation of E was incredible. I often wonder how Z is so in-tune with the Spirit. I spoke with T later and we discussed that Z could be a patriarch. She said that he is such a humble person and doesn’t recognize his gift. I always look forward to a blessing from Z. 
 
Later that day, my mom came over for us to attend the broadcast. I missed a text from T asking for a ride. I felt bad that I missed it but my phone was still on silent from the baptism. We joined T and a few other friends at the dinner. We enjoyed visiting over good food that was served by the brethren of our stake. As we moved into the chapel, it filled up fast. We all sat on a small pew. It was me, T, Mom, our cousin and another friend. We were packed tight. Mom threatened to split up T and me because we were talking too much. We had entered the chapel about 25 minutes before the meeting started. It was interesting to hear the immediate silence as the meeting began.
 
The meeting began with Sister Bonnie Oscarson (General Young Women president) conducting. The First Presidency was in attendance as well as the General Boards of the Young Women, Primary and Relief Society. It was announced that the RS General Board had expanded to several countries and the sisters would reside in their native lands as they serve.  There was a combined women’s choir from the Wasatch Front that provided the music. Several of my friends and family applied but none were accepted. The opening hymn was 246. 
 
Sister Rosemary Wixom, General Primary President
·         Always remember the Young Women theme
·         We need to defend and sustain the Kingdom of God
·         She asked for the girls ages 8-11 to stand. I couldn’t believe how many there were. She then asked them to sing the first verse of Teach me to walk. The congregation joined for the 2nd verse.
·         Elder Hales taught that we must have total allegiance to the kingdom of God.
·         Baptism and weekly sacrament meetings lead us to temple worthiness.
·         As we head to the temple, our inadequacies will fade.
·         Delight in your covenants
·         Listen to the sacrament prayer. Ponder on “may always have His Spirit to be with us.”
·         “Press forward with steadfastness.”
·         Cleave unto your covenants to be able to feel the full lobe of your Heavenly Father and Christ.
I AM A CHILD OF GOD – video presentation
·         The song was sung in 9 different languages across 8 countries.
·         There were groups of women or children in their native dress.
Bonnie Oscarson – General Young Women
·         Sisters share an unbreakable bond
·         Be one
·         Sister Holland once said There is nothing so great to lose
·         Luke 1 – Mary and Elisabeth, common bond of their miraculous pregnancies, regardless of age or life situation
·         There is no age barrier when it comes to Christlike love
·         The errand of Angels is given to WOMEN
·         Ignore each others differences
·         Love each other more, Love each other better
Linda K Burton – General Relief Society President
·         Keep all of the commandments, they are not “old”
·         Lay aside your worldly cares
·         Greek translation of perfect is complete
·         We cannot do it alone, the Atonement provides our path
·         What does it mean to you to be a disciple?
·         Help Wanted – Temple workers, missionaries, true friends, eternal parents
·         Step forward in righteousness
·         Hasten the work of salvation
Medley – Lord I would follow Thee and Love One Another
 
President Henry B Eyring
·         This is a historic meeting for all women ages 8 and older
·         The path to exhaltation is marked with covenants and ordinances
·         Parents are responsible to teach faith and baptism
·         Bear one anothers burdens that they may be light
·         Trials and tests in life were perfectly chosen for me
·         You are more alike as daughters of God than you are different
·         Eve’s great courage and wisdom led Adam to the truth, she recognized the way Home
·         Trust in the Lord – Proverbs 3:5-6
·         The keys to restoration are held by President Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment