Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Finances and Faith

Things have been very different at our house over the past nine months. My husband, Rich, was laid off his job in August. His brother was his boss. He had worked there for five years. We were devastated. We had only been in our home for five months. I had been at my job for almost a year. I had never been the primary breadwinner before. Rich applied for unemployment and began spending several hours per day searching for new employment. He sent out hundreds of resumes but only had a few interviews. We turned to Vocational Rehabilitation for assistance due to Rich's extensive medical history. He was accepted. They were not much help. Just three months ago, Rich found employment. He applied for a driver position and was turned down. He was offered a job in housekeeping as a consolation. Unemployment was running out and there were no other options. Rich accepted the position and started working two days later. Now for the present, the long 12 hour shifts are taking a toll on Rich's already worn out body. He works three days per week and spends the remaining four days in bed recovering. This is no life for him. It is with a heavy heart that we have chosen to file for disability. Rich has come to the realization that things will not get better for him. He struggles with every day tasks such as getting dressed or doing laundry. His application was submitted four months ago. He recently had 2 appointments to review his eligibility. We do know that he is making too much money to meet the Social Security requirements. Rich already knew that he needed to cut back his hours due to his physical pain. We are now facing the decision to cut his hours from 34 to 20.

Rich and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I attend church each Sunday for guidance and strength. Rich is unable to go with me since he works all day on Sunday. We turn to our Bishop (the leader of our local congregation) for assistance. I have spent many visits in tears wondering what our path is and when these financial and health struggles will end. This kind man is such a wonderful listener. He hears and understands us. He helps me know that I am not alone. I truly don't know what the end result will be. I do know that I need to have faith in my Heavenly Father. I know that He is mindful of Rich and I both. I know that He is watching over us and has a plan in place. I continue to press forward with the knowledge that He has prepared a way for us. My favorite scripture is Isaiah 41:10 and it reads "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." The Lord will guide and protect us as we walk in faith and righteousness. The path will not be easy for narrow is the path of His presence. If we follow by his guidance and counsel. We will be blessed.

So here we go.


No comments:

Post a Comment