Friday, April 29, 2016

Cub scouts, why it's so important to me


As a bonus mom to twin boys, involvement in cub scouts is inevitable. Even before meeting these special boys, I was a wolf den leader. Since that time, my husband and I were Webelos leaders and currently I am the cub scout committee chair. My parents have both been den leaders as well. 

The importance of scouting has been a part of my life for years. I remember as a teen seeing the young men my age in their scout uniforms while I was at my weekly young women activities. I then watched my brother and cousins advance through the scouting program and then achieve their Eagle Scouting award.

Scouting is super important for so many reasons. The values taught are unmatched. One Bishop I served under explained to me that cub scouts is time to prepare them for priesthood. My view is that it is preparation for the responsibilities of adult life. My husband and I have long told our boys that they must earn their Eagle Scout Award in order to get their drivers license. My brother in law pointed out that scouting was actually started to prepare young men to enter the military draft. In fact, any young man entering the military as an Eagle Scout immediately earns a higher rank.

I said before that I'm a step mom to twin boys. Buying two of everything can get super expensive, especially when it comes to scout uniforms. I know that not everyone has the finances to afford scout uniforms. Thankfully, I have several friends and family who have donated used uniform shirts to those scouts who otherwise would go without. The cub scout packs I lead also provide tshirts for day camps which becomes our summer uniform shirt.

That being said, I feel strongly about the importance of the boys wearing a uniform. These cub scouts should stand out. I love seeing cub scouts walk in a parade all in uniform. They are examples to those not involved in scouting and boys too young to participate. 

The most important time for uniforms is when participating in the flag ceremony. Being a member of a flag ceremony is an honor. These boys are carrying the flag of the United States of America. This is patriotism at it's finest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment