Friday, April 22, 2016

My body is a temple


I posted on Instagram about this the other day. We often hear about how out bodies are temples. The conversation usually revolves around keeping our minds and exterior bodies clean.

Have you ever seen a dirty interior of the temple? I certainly haven't, even during open houses. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a dirty chapel either.

Heavenly Father gave us the Word of Wisdom to keep our bodies strong. It is just as important to keep your body healthy as it is to keep it clean. Our test in life is not only trials but to take care of the bodies Heavenly Father has given to us.

My husband suffers from numerous medical issues. He recently was diagnosed with conflicting conditions. He has type 2 diabetes and gastroparesis. The diets for these issues are polar opposites. My husband struggles with eating because he never knows what will cause a flare up. Foods that bother him one day, have no affect a few days later. It's difficult for him and me since I rarely know what to make for dinner.

In September, I began focusing on eating healthier and drinking more water. As I get older, I realized that I need to start taking better care of myself. I suffered a bit of a set back at the beginning of the year. I found myself in the hospital with anemia and needing a hysterectomy. It's taken a few months but I am finally starting to get back on track. I have been advised to increase my protein intake to help with the healing process.

My husband and I have talked to numerous doctors about diet. I am starting to notice a decreased appetite. I eat three small meals a day and have 2 supplement shakes. The more water I drink, the better I feel. I do not avoid my favorite foods. I eat them in moderation.

I also make healthy substitutions. I have transitioned mostly to ground turkey instead of ground beef. I often eat chicken as my protein. I struggle with milk but tolerate almond milk without issue. I am able to eat greek yogurt in the morning. I find it to be a filling snack option. I use sandwich or bagel thins instead of buns or bagels.

I'm not perfect by any means but I thought I'd share my insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment