Monday, April 28, 2014

Words

I love using items that I create to make our house look better. It also helps in the financial department since I can usually make something for much less than buying it. I'm not really concerned with the time it takes to complete my project. Crafting is my way to relax and have fun.

In my front room, there is a coat closet that does not go up to the ceiling. The ledge has been bothering me for a while. I had decor up there for Christmas and it has seemed empty ever since. We were at a neighbors house for dinner and I got an idea. I decided to purchase wooden letters that spell family and then find a lantern. I would use ivy as a filler for the back drop. I mis-judged the space and had to exchange both the letters and the lantern. It was quite the process but I am enjoying the results thus far.

I used the wall paint from the dining room to help tie the areas together. I got the lantern from Deseret Book. Here are the letters once they were painted.
I then added papers for embellishment. Some tips from this process:
1. Trace the letters as best as you can and then cut with scissors.
2. Don't worry about tight spaces, this is where your craft knife will come in handy. I struggled with the M the most. I laid the paper over the letter once I cut out everything that was traced. I was then able to cut out the narrow spaces.
3. Add mod podge and then smooth paper on top. Lay the letters paper down and then add weight to the back side. Wait until mostly dry to add the top coat.
All that's left is a bow for the F, the ivy backdrop and a candle for the lantern.

No comments:

Post a Comment